Programme for 2020-2021
Meetings are normally held on the last Tuesday of each month at the United Reformed Church Hall, Chapel Road, Hounslow, TW3 1UL. Non-members are welcome to attend and will be asked to pay a visitors fee of £2.00 per person, per talk.
Due to the prevalence of coronavirus the society’s committee have agreed to postpone this year’s AGM until April 2021. Officers and committee members will remain in place until then. Because of the coronavirus outbreak our programme for the autumn 2020 – spring 2021 season cannot be delivered normally, at monthly meetings at Hounslow’s United Reform Church Hall. We hope to resume our meetings at Hounslow URC next year. Meanwhile, members are invited to log-in to local history presentations, web-cast via ZOOM, on our normal meeting nights – the last Tuesday each month from September to April (except December).
- Tuesday October 27th: HOUNSLOW HEATH AERODROME AND THE FIRST FLIGHT TO AUSTRALIA, 1919; by James Marshall, Hounslow Local Historian.
- Tuesday November 24th: HOUNSLOW’S ROMAN ROAD; by James Marshall, Hounslow Local Historian.
- Tuesday 26th January 2021: THE FARNELL FAMILY OF ISLEWORTH BREWERY; by Christine Diwell of The Isleworth Society.
- Tuesday 23rd February 2021: LONDON’S VICTORIANS AT LEISURE; by Ian Bevan.
- Tuesday 30th March 2021: HAYES – THE MUSIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD; by Joanna Hughes of the EMI Archive Trust.
- Tuesday 27th April 2021: H&DHS AGM followed by a talk on FELTHAM MARSHALLING YARDS AND THE NEW SOUTH WESTERN RAILWAYS TRAINCARE DEPOT by Brian Grumbridge and James Marshall
All presentations will be made remotely over the internet, hosted by the Hounslow and District History Society, using ZOOM. All members for whom we have e-mail addresses will be invited to join these sessions.
If circumstances permit we will resume holding our autumn meetings in Hounslow’s United Reformed Church Hall. We will inform members about this in the autumn mailing – sent out in August each year.
- Tuesday 28th September: WEST HOUSE AND THE HEATH ROBINSON MUSEUM by Cynthia Wells, Chair of the Heath Robinson Museum Trust
- Tuesday 26th October: CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS OF THE CITY OF LONDON by Mark Lewis, Part-Time Lecturer at The Goldsmith’s Centre
- Tuesday 30th November: WITHIN THE GARDEN WALLS AT HOGARTHS HOUSE by Val Bott, Chair of The William Hogarth Trust
- No meeting is held in December. The first meeting of 2022 will be on Tuesday 25th January and will be A HISTORY OF RICHMOND PARK by Max Lankester, Vice-President of the Friends of Richmond Park
The next committee meeting of the society, held via ZOOM, will be on Wednesday 3rd March 2021 at 7 pm.
*** The presentations will begin at 7.30 pm on each occasion***
Please contact the H&DHS via this web site to ask for a ZOOM Link invitation to log in to one of our on-line talks.
We hope you will join in this trial of a new (and, we hope, strictly temporary) way of presenting Hounslow’s local history. Please ensure that the Membership Secretary has your e-mail address if you would like to take part. Thank you for supporting the society in difficult times.
Past Programmes of the society can be seen here